Child Care

How to apply for licensed child care and approved recreation services.

The District of Nipissing Child Care Waitlist Registry

Finding early learning and child care programs for your child is done online through the District of Nipissing Child Care Waitlist Registry.

The registry will guide you through the process of creating your account and adding your child/children. It will show you all available licensed early learning and child care options for children from infancy up to 12 years of age. For more information on the types of services and age groups included, click here to download our licensed child care programs infographic.

You can also click here for a list of all licensed child care and authorized recreation programs in the District of Nipissing.


Learn More:

Click here to get more details about the District of Nipissing Child Care Services.


Please Note:

In some cases, parents may wait months before they are able to get child care, especially with infants and toddlers. It is a good idea to register early – even before your child is born.

The application process is simple:

  1. Access the Waitlist Registry to sign up and create an account, or login if you already have an account and need to make changes.
  2. Follow the steps to apply for child care programs that best meet the needs of your child and family.
  3. Once space is available, a child care provider will contact you directly to advise you of the next steps.

For step-by-step instructions on using the Child Care Waitlist Registry, click on a button below to download the Parent Manual in your preferred language.

Parent Manual  Manuel pour parents

Child Care Fee Subsidy

How to qualify for and apply for a child care fee subsidy.

Child Care Fee Subsidy

Child care fee subsidy is a program that is intended to help families with the cost of their child care expenses. It supports eligible families by paying a portion of their total licensed child care costs as funding permits.

Fee subsidy offers an essential support for many families, helping them balance the demands of a career and family while working, pursuing education or participating in a training program.

Who Can Apply

Child Care Subsidy may be available to families living in the District of Nipissing who are looking to access licensed Child Care Centre-Based or Home Child Care (for children newborn to 12 years of age) as well as Approved Recreation Programs (for children 6-12 years of age).

Click for more requirements

In order to qualify for Child Care Subsidy you need to:

  • Be a resident of the District of Nipissing
  • Be the child’s parent, legal guardian, temporary or kinship parent
  • The child must live in the same residence
  • File a Federal Tax Return on an annual basis
  • Have a demonstrated need for early learning and child care services
    • by attending school or professional training
    • working full-time, part-time, on call or casual
    • having a Special Needs Referral provided by a third party agency, a doctor or other professional who is currently working with you or your child.

Learn More:

Click here to get more details about the Child Care Fee Subsidy.

If you have further questions, you can contact program support at (705) 474-2151 ext. 3113 or email

How To Apply/Pre-Assessment

You can apply for child care fee subsidy online through our Fee Subsidy On-Line Application Form (OLAF) by clicking the ‘Apply Now’ button below.  In order to better support families, we recommend applying for fee subsidy prior to securing a licensed child care or authorized recreation space to determine your eligibility.

If you are deemed eligible for Fee Subsidy, your child(ren) will be placed on the subsidy list.  Once you have secured a licensed space, contact us and your application will be finalized.  Please note that the final processing of the application may require an updated income test, based on the latest Notice of Assessment (NOA) information.

If you prefer to apply over the telephone, you can call locally at (705) 474-1923 or toll free at 1-877-319-5411.

Apply Now  Faire une demande


Ontario Works Children Related Benefits

If you are on Ontario Works, you might be able to get other benefits and subsidies to help care for a child.

Special Needs

How to get support for children and youth with special needs.

Inclusion Support Program

DNSSAB provides funds to two local agencies to ensure that special needs resourcing services are available to children with special needs allowing them to attend and be included in licensed child care programs.   The Inclusion Support Program allows families to access licensed early learning and child care services and receive the supports and resources to assist both the family and the child care professionals.

Licensed child care programs are inclusive environments which welcome all children as full participants. Every licensed child care program in the District of Nipissing receives enhanced support services from a Special Needs Resource Consultant through the Inclusion Support Program.  These qualified professionals provide additional support needed so that every child can take part in the child care program.



Special Needs Referral for Fee Subsidy

Children may be referred to the fee subsidy program based on either a child’s special needs or a parent’s special needs.

Eligibility for fee subsidy with a special needs referral will be subject to the regular income testing guidelines.

The Special Needs Referral Form, which can be downloaded using the link below, must be completed by a third party social services professional.  Examples include Children’s Aid Society, Community Living North Bay, One Kids Place, etc.

Special Needs Referral Form

Special Needs Referral Form (French)



Learn More:

Click here to get more details about special needs resourcing.