Additional Information Related to COVID-19

*NOTE*  This webpage will be updated as new information becomes available

Please be advised that business will only be conducted by phone.

Ontario Works: to apply for social assistance, please call 1-877-319-5411; for all other inquiries please call toll free 1-877-829-5121 and ask for extension 3440.

Children's Services: please call 1-877-829-5121 ext. 3113

Housing Services: please contact 705-491-6593

Nipissing District Housing Corporation: please call 705-472-2441

We understand that it may be difficult to get through due to the heavy volume on phones and internet, but please keep trying.

Click on the link for more information on Nipissing District Shelter and Food Options Available during COVID-19 Pandemic

Below are answers to some Frequently Asked Questions.  Hopefully you will find information relevant to your situation there.

Frequently asked questions

Please click on the questions below to reveal the answers to common questions regarding DNSSAB services during the COVID-19 pandemic.

How do I get COVID-19 Emergency Assistance?

For those experiencing financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and who are not already receiving Ontario Works or ODSP, please go to to see if you qualify for emergency assistance.

I need to contact my case manager. How do i do that with offices closed?

If you have a question, concern or need to report a change to our office, please contact your Case Manager directly by phone or email.  If you do not know how to reach your Case Manager we have provided alternate contact options below;

North Bay Office

Telephone: (705) 474-2151 ext. 3440 or toll free: 1 (877) 829-5121 ext. 3440

General Email:

Sturgeon Falls Office

Telephone: (705) 753-5400 ext. 3229, toll free 1 (800) 461-9554​​ ext. 3229 

General Email:

Mattawa Office

Telephone: (705) 744-0395 ext. 23

General Email:

Whitney Office

Telephone: 1 (877) 829-5121 ext. 3440

General Email:

How do I submit my Ontario Works Income Card or other information?

Income cards and other requested information can be submitted by email or dropped off at any of our office locations using the external drop box.  Income reporting can also be complete through the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system or if you have earnings, through MyBenefits.

What is MyBenefits?

MyBenefits is a new online portal for social assistance recipients to access information regarding their file and report changes.  Visit to register and learn more. 

How will I receive my Ontario Works Benefits?
You will either receive your benefits by cheque in the mail or by Direct Bank Deposit (DBD).
What happens if I don't have Direct Bank Deposit?

Direct Bank Deposit (DBD) is recommended and we are asking everyone who has identification to open a bank account and register for DBD.  To set up DBD you have two options;

1.      Submit a Direct Bank Deposit (DBD) form and attach a void cheque or a DBD Authorization form from your bank and drop it in the external drop box outside of any of our offices.  There are DBD forms available on our website.

2.      Contact your Case Manager with the following information

o   Name of the Account holder

o   Bank account number

o   Transit Number

o   Financial Institution Number

What happens if I am homeless or don't have a mailing address?

In order to ensure that you are able to receive payments it is important that you provide us with at least one of the following;

·         Alternate Mailing Address (location where we can mail your cheque and you will be able to pick it up) or

·         Direct Bank Deposit information

If you are unable to provide an alternate mailing address and do not have a bank account, please contact your Case Manger to make arrangements to schedule a time to pick up your cheque.

I need to move. HOw do I change my address?
We will update your mailing address and accommodation costs over the phone.  This will allow you time to submit a completed Intent to Rent form to verify your address and accommodation costs at a later date.  You can also submit an Intent to Rent form by email or in the external drop box at any of our office locations.
What is the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system?
The IVR is an automated telephone line that provides social assistance recipients with access to information about their file 24 hours a day.   The IVR phone number is 1 (800) 808-2268.  If you have already been granted access to the IVR you will need your member ID and PIN available.  Contact the office if you are a new user or need to reset your account.
What does the provincial state of emergency mean for my child care and EarlyON programs?

This order does not apply to home child care providers overseen by licensed agencies or unlicensed home child care.  It is up to individual licensed home child care agencies to decide whether they will continue to operate during this closure period. 

Some EarlyON Child & Family Centres will be providing virtual programming for children and families through their Facebook page.  Please visit your EarlyON Centre page for more information. 

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your child care space, please contact your child care provider.

What licensed child care centre services will be available for 'eligible workers' in the Nipissing District?

In collaboration with the Ontario government, the DNSSAB is partnering with licensed child care providers to deliver free emergency child care to essential frontline workers.

To apply for emergency child care services, visit  The application will be open on Thursday April 9th, commencing at 11 a.m.

Additional information related to emergency child care can be found here:

How will my child care fee subsidy be affected during this time?

Child Care Fee Subsidy will continue and be maintained for those who were receiving it prior to the closure on March 17, 2020.  If your circumstances change during this period, please contact your Children’s Services Representative.

How will my child care fee subsidy sick days be affected during this time?

If your child does not attend child care for all or part of the emergency order closure period, these days will not count towards your allotted absent days per year.

Will I have to pay my parental contribution during this time?

As of April 10, 2020, the government of Ontario has issued an emergency order to prevent any child care provider from charging parent fees where care is not being provided.  The order also means that parents cannot lose their child care space because they are not paying fees during this period.  

 For more information, please see the media release available here

How do I pay for my rent to the Nipissing District Housing Corporation if the office is closed?

More and more tenants are set up for online banking; all you need is your individual tenant account number (call the office for this information) followed by adding “Nipissing District Housing Corp.” as a payee. Please call the office to discuss this option. If you pay by cheque, you can either mail your cheque or put it in the drop-off boxes located in the NDHC building at 133 Main Street West in North Bay, 145 Holditch Street in Sturgeon Falls as well as 445 Poplar Street in Mattawa. These locked boxes are checked and emptied daily. 

Will there still be someone to come and fix things in my housing unit?

NDHC will continue to address repairs that are needed to ensure the health and safety of the tenants, including snow and garbage removal, essential maintenance services.  All other requests that can be put off until later will be.  NDHC also asks that tenants not have visitors to their units when a maintenance person is scheduled to attend your unit.